Of all the things I’ve done in my travels, nothing holds a higher place in my heart than trying out new cuisines. Though, I agree what I eat and what I would like to eat might differ at many places. However, just like I adapt to new devices and various forms of future communications, it should not be hard to believe that my taste buds crave for a variety of contemporary flavours.
I won’t risk it by calling myself a foodie but, I do love to explore my choices in different cuisines. Passion, performance and ability to amaze are three qualities I look for in my employees and the same apply to the uniqueness of the food I look forward to try.
My palate is extremely biased to spicy food, which opens my window to a variety of options. My most favourite being Nigerian cuisine, the aspects that attract me to it are:
- Flavours and aroma; the food is even more amazing if it smells appetizing.
- Egusi soup, Edikaikong and almost all the other such delicacies owing to their spices, herbs and wholesome taste.
- Dodo (Fried Plantain), a less sweet version of a banana, and is a side dish usually prepared with vegetable or palm oil.
- Suya, the most popular Nigerian street snack has to be on my list as well.
Although Nigerian is one of my favourite cuisines, I’m able to devour it just about once in a blue moon. Because of the fact, that I am travelling a lot and also experimenting a lot.
- Indian cuisine is definitely one that I like to savour. Naan bread accompanied with lamb Madras is a perfect combination for dinner.
- Thai cuisine is exceptional, mainly because of its balanced spices and flavors. Be it the soups, salads or the rice and noodles, the combination of ingredients always makes it a delight to devour.
- Japanese food is also delicious especially Sushi and a few other dishes with fish. But what appeals to me more is the fusion of Japanese food with the European palate. Hence, Teppanyaki style of cooking is what I enjoy more than the traditional preparations.
Keeping myself ready to explore food at all times, these are some aspects of the cuisines I like. What I love and what I eat, however, are two different things. So when it comes to what I eat, my diet more or less consists of an omelette for breakfast or sweet potato and vegetables for lunch.
Since, I travel a lot I try to eat properly, especially fruits like pear and make sure I have a filling breakfast. I try to have lots of proteins and at the same time limit my carbohydrates. I don’t like eating too many carbs and so it’s best to have only what is required by the body. That is why I usually like to have fish or chicken with a salad for dinner, which is light and healthy.
Food is something I like to savour and not just indulge in for the sake of quelling hunger. That is also why I really enjoy Asian cuisine, which is extremely wholesome and offers a wide variety to choose from.
Coming back to trying out different cuisines, I do not want to leave out European cuisine, Lebanese and Italian. They are also included in my list of favourites from the continent. The food is sophisticated and full of flavour. Be it tabbouleh or arrabbiata, European food also has its rich culture in cuisine.
However, what I have mentioned are perhaps the bare minimum varieties of cuisine and I’m sure there is a possibility to explore several more. It is important to be adventurous so that you can take up new challenges everyday. Discovering tasty and beautiful food is an adventure for me, a quest I shall seek after forever.